Wednesday, February 19, 2014

#1 Buckwheat, Brown Rice and Wood Ear Pottage


Let's start off with the first jar of chicken broth. I seem to have plenty more where that came from, and I can't wait to get started!! 
It's still a little chilly, and a good, hearty pottage is just the thing. Besides, it started to rain and wild mushrooms are starting to come out! A few months late, but it's much better late then never. Nooo, I haven't actually picked the mushrooms. YET. I went to a local Vietnamese grocery and got a huge tray of wood ear mushrooms and fresh plump Shiitakes. I wrangled some stray vegetables from the fridge, and some buckwheat and brown rice which I always keep around. The mushrooms, roasted buckwheat and a few spices made this dish taste earthy, slightly smoky with a delicate dash of spice.








4 large wood ear mushrooms
4 large shiitakes
1/2 cup roasted buckwheat
1/3 cup of brown rice
3 sliced Brussels sprouts
a hand full of chopped green beans*
chicken broth
1 tsp smoked paprika
cayenne pepper to taste

*you know those abandoned veggies in the refrigerator you've been feeling guilty about. Now is the time. 

Bring chicken stock to a boil and add vegetables, spices, rice and buckwheat. I add the mushrooms too, except for the wood ears. I like them a bit crunchy and wait till the very end - about 4 minutes before serving.  It takes about 10 minutes for the rice and buckwheat to be ready and soft. The broth makes this taste incredible, slow cooked and homey. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive